Thursday, March 06, 2008

jay howell

11 THINGS: Jay Howell

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Painter, cartoonist, author, publisher, DJ, cyclist, dog lover, art school dropout, record label co-owner, blogger and crazy eccentric, Jay Howell is 11 things to 11 people. To help kick off his first-ever solo show, "Punks Git Cut," he was kind enough to share 11 thoughts with us:

1. On politics: There is more of a need now to be kind to others. We are the peaceful warriors and we are awesome. We will look out for each other, make each other dinner and dance together. Also smash fascists and stuff.

2. On music: I DJ and buy a ton of records every month but when it comes down to it, I listen to Can every day.

3. On literature: I don't think there's a better book than "A Confederacy of Dunces." It's my life handbook.

4. On animals: Although I draw a ton of dogs, I have really bad asthma and can never own one except for Chihuahuas, which I've owned two of ... and lost them both to ex-girlfriends.

5. On health: I was attacked by a crazy person on my bike six months ago, shattering my collar bone. On the way to the hospital the ambulance ran over a curb and I smashed my shoulder even more.

6. On language: I don't ever swear in front of my parents. They're in for a surprise when they come see my show with all the naked people and f-words.

7. On art: I got a new animation about a motorcycle gang that only has one motorcycle. I find this very funny.

8. On food: I love candy. I love to eat candy. I eat peanut M&Ms every day.

9. On sex: Taking a photo of two people 69ing on a skateboard is the hardest thing I've ever done.

10. On work: I work in a cafe, making lattes. I don't know what to think about this.

11. On life: This is my first solo show and I'm wicked excited.

Jay Howell's "Punks Git Cut" Opens at 6 tonight at 111 Minna. The Jizz and various DJs perform. The exhibition runs through March 29. Noon-5 p.m. Tues.-Fri. and by appt. (415) 974-1719. www.111minnagallery.com

- Tim Sullivan, tsullivan@sfchronicle.com

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/06/NSICV91NB.DTL

This article appeared on page G - 3 of the San Francisco Chronicle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home